Fail, try again, again, again, again, success!
I purchased some expensive hardwood timber which would be enough to do two lamps. On the outside, the timber looked to be a perfect piece
I marked out all the cuts needed and placed it on the drop saw.
Part way through the cut I noticed something was wrong. There is an internal split along the entire length of the timber making it useless.
Another piece of timber. The first cut is going nicely until the bottom, where it takes a chunk out of the back.
All the cuts are good, but then I realise the bottom piece won’t house the globe with the socket.
Everything is cut nice, the bottom piece is the correct size.
The globe and base fit in perfect.
Ah! I need a hole for the DC jack. I drill the hole, mount the jack, then reassemble.
Fuck. Now the globe doesn’t fit!
The top sections are fine, so I just need to remake the bottom bit.
Due to the size of the block, my hole saw bits will be rather useless. To do the previous cuts I had to do one side, then flip it over, do that side, then chisel out the centre.
I keep seeing Youtubers from the USA using Forstner bits and realised these would be a much better option than the hole saw bits. The issue is that they don’t seem to be very common in Australia. It could just be the hardware stores I go to, but the range is basically one option with 4 sizes and expensive. So, online I went.
These worked perfectly. After some final assembly, the lamp was finally done.