Pump repair

I bought a new pump from an online store so I could use my rainwater tank for things around the garden.

I always like to try things when buying them to ensure they work in case I don’t get around to the project in a timely manner.

The test worked fine and it was placed in my shed. Of course, I was right, I didn’t get around to actually installing it for a few years. By this stage, the pump wasn’t working.

A quick look at it showed it had ceased up. The cooling fan was not spinning, even after applying significant force. Again, it was placed back in my shed for a number of years.

Finally, I got around to looking at it. On opening the pump, it was obvious the issue. The entire inside had rusted.

sized2The motor itself was fine, so it was just a process of cleaning off the rust. I used wire brushes and sandpaper to get it back to clean metal.
To try and prevent further rust, I sprayed it with an anti-rust paint, followed by a white enamel.

Some drying time, re-assembly, a new coat of paint on the outside and it’s as good as new.


Leave a Reply